Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Another Finish

    There has been a Quilt Camp in our little town for many years.  I had never attended due to work, personal commitments, my own projects and life in general.  Last year a friend was planning to stay with me while she attended, but had to cancel at the last minute.  The director asked me if I wanted to attend in her place.  I hurriedly put some fabrics together for two of the classes and rearranged the rest of my life.  It was a lot of fun and ironically, I am going back this year as a teacher of the mystery quilt class.  Anyway, I recently finished the last project and can now take it to the first night "Show and Tell" event.  Here it is:

It is called Topsy Turvy Nine Patch and was taught by Klonda Holt.  The "wings" on the nine patch are paper pieced.  It was my first experience with paper piecing and I learned a lot.


Zeke, the cat, is always lots of help in the sewing room.  I guess he thought I was trying to photograph him.

















     Don't you love the backing?  (The camera did something weird and changed the background color of the blocks.  It should be creamier.  The backing should be brown and black.)
     The nine patch fabrics were scraps and the "wings" were a fabric from my stash.  The background and backing were the only fabrics I purchased, so it was something of a stash buster.  I like those.  To me it looks like geese in formation although some of them are going the wrong direction.
                                                                                                                                                                                         


I like having several projects going at once, usually something to piece, a needle turn appliqué and something pulled together for a new project, just in case I get a block of time or a retreat comes my way.  My current go-to piecing project is a scrap quilt featuring uneven nine patch, in rows set on point.  Here is the pattern, (American Patchwork and Quilting, April 2011. on the cover)
 

Our quilt guild meets to sew together one Saturday a month, so this last Saturday I finished all of the nine patches (63) and started on the flying geese (144).

 




Needless to say, I am in no hurry to complete this, it's really about the process.  It will probably be put away while I work on something else.  I'm thinking about a patriotic quilt.  My grandson just enlisted in the Navy and I think his mother and I should have something red, white and blue.  I bought a jelly roll of red/cream/blue not too long ago, maybe that will be it.  I'll keep you posted.
Judy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Judy! Your quilt top is lovely and that pic of those uneven 9 patches...love those scrappy fabrics! Have fun at that Quilt Camp ~ it sounds like a fantastic time. We are closing the shop here on Monday so the staff from both stores can get together for a little 'retreat' of sewing and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy, Your quilt is beautiful. Your Quilt Camp sounds great. I found your block through Small Quilt Talk. Hugs, Cathy/MI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the lin to your blog on SQT. I have been enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!