Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Snow Day UFO's

     It has been snowing here in Mid-Missouri since midnight with snow piling on last week's accumulation.
     I have been concentrating on "finishing" this week.  I finished that challenge/charity quilt I showed you last time.  My machine quilting isn't very professional but maybe a little girl won't notice.  Hopefully, she will only look at the little ballerinas on their tippy toes.


Do you see where I ran out of the challenge fabric?  There are four of the bow tie blocks missing some of the brown challenge fabric.  I wasn't about to try to buy more of that fabric and I really like those blocks the best.  I actually considered (very briefly) remaking the other 12 blocks.  Instead, I will operate on the galloping horse theory. 


     This next project, I am almost ashamed to share its history.   I purchased this little needlepoint canvas in Charleston, SC sometime in the mid 90's.  I completed the needlepoint and it went into a drawer until  I could finish it.  In my defense, I was still working then.  Last week, I talked my hubby into helping me move some furniture and created a little sitting area in a spare bedroom.  The room has lots of light and I thought it would make a good handwork and reading area.  I was so happy with it that I redecorated the entire room around it.  While looking for something else, I came across the little needlepoint canvas and thought it would fit in that room.  I mounted it on some natural linen from my stash and made this little pillow.  It sits on an antique ladder back chair in my sitting room.  Such a feeling of accomplishment to actually finish a UFO that is 15-20 years old.  There is hope for all of us, girls.



This next one is more recent.  I love to work with wool in the winter.  I love its soft colors and the way it feels.  I love the way the appliqué seems to wed itself to the background as you stitch it.  And I love the way it looks on the antiques.  Currently, my favorite designer is Maggie Bonanomi.  She actually lives in Lexington, MO and I was fortunate enough to see her house on a house tour last fall.  It is an 1840's Federal and decorated in the primitive style.  Her textiles are all through the house and are beautiful.  I now own three of her books and am systematically working my way through my favorite patterns.  This one is called "Flowering Vine Pillow" from "A Day at Sunnybrook".  I didn't make it into a pillow as I wanted to use it as a table rug.  The background is re-purposed wool from a thrift shop (it was a wraparound skirt).  The backing is from a vintage army blanket, that wonderful brownish green that is also used for the leaves on the front.  I found the army blanket in an antique mall for $15.00.  That is a lot of wool for a small amount of money.  A wool fat quarter is usually $10-12. 
     That's all my finishes for this past week, but there is still more to come, I hope.  Now, to choose the next UFO from that stack in the sewing room.  



1 comment:

  1. Great projects Judy! I really like the wool. I am going to see if I can google Maggie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!