I pulled out the Split Nine Patches and brought them upstairs to the Singer 127. I knew my treadling skill could use some improvement, so decided to concentrate on getting more comfortable with that process. Here's the things that needed improvement; my 1/4 inch seam was inconsistent, my seams weren't very straight, the treadle belt was slipping and I would frequently break the thread because I would start the treadle movement backwards.
Next, I shortened the treadle belt by about a 1/4 inch. That helped with starting the machine going in the right direction. I am happy to report that I haven't broken the thread all week.
Now to work on the straight seam issue. I seem to need to pin a little more with the treadle. Otherwise, when I take my right hand off the fabric to give the flywheel a push, I get a little zag in my seam, or maybe its a zig, anyway it zig-zags. I also think practice will make perfect. The more I do it, the more control I feel I have. I don't seem to think about the treading as much as I did.
I love these split nine-patches. Everyone of them is unique. I have 70 now, on my way to 196. That will give me a quilt 84 X 84. The blocks finish at 6 inches. Here's some of them;
I love how the shades of color blend on each side of the diagonal line. I do find it difficult to just pick up the units willy-nilly and sew them together. I find myself planning the color arrangement of each block. I don't think that is the intent of a scrappy quilt, but just can't help myself.
I will try to post about vacation, but not sure I can do it with my phone or i-Pad while on the move. If I can't figure it out, I will post when I get home. Meanwhile,
keep on stitchin'.